Friday, February 04, 2011

Blogiversary and Book Cover!

Today, February 4, is a pretty significant day in my personal yearly calendar. In 2003, my dear Grandma Carol passed away. In 2005, I rejuvenated this blog, which had lain dormant for exactly two years. In 2006, I celebrated my first blogiversary, and I've tried to mark it every year since with a few brief words.


And in 2011, this is going to print:



And this is very much the culmination of all the February 4ths that have come before it: Second Sight is dedicated to the memory of my grandma (as well as my papa), and it would never have come about without this blog -- quite literally, as the blog led to my website led to writerly interest led to more talks led to the idea led to Kickstarter led to this finally happening. Thanks to all of you for your support through the years, on the blog and for the book: It is truly, deeply appreciated.

The cover was designed by Whitney Lyle, who is newly on staff at Scholastic, with much gadflyish art direction from me. (Seriously, editor + author + client in one person = designer's worst nightmare, but she has borne it with good grace.) I've been looking at versions of this cover for about three months now, and somehow posting it here and on Facebook today, e-mailing it to my book fulfillment people for my online shop, getting ready to send it to press -- it has finally become really real. Which I find a wee bit terrifying, I confess. But I so admire all you writers and illustrators for your daring and bravery, making things you imagined real in the world; and I'm excited to finally be taking that step myself at last. Hooray!

28 comments:

  1. Yay! I love how the cover turned out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting. Congratulations on your book release, can't wait to read it, especially a book coming from a Potterologist :) What a blessing to dedicate the book to your grandmother! Best of luck Cheryl, I'll make sure to spread the word...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray to you, Cheryl! This book will be a must read for everyone interested in writing, in reading, in children's publishing. I look forward to buying a copy and having you sign it! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, I like it! I'm going to have to at least skim this one; I've had an unusually high number of students lately who are interested in writing for YA or children, and it would be great to be able to recommend your book.

    and i do quite like the cover.

    happy blogiversary, and many congrats on the book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Cheryl, it's gorgeous! Especially the spine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your book release! A perfect day for a special occasion. It's a fantastic cover. The insides are even better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can honestly say, that before today, I have never anxiously awaited the release of a book about writing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I look forward to having SECOND SIGHT in book form - and must thank you because it's all those "mini lessons" from your talks that helped me truly learn the meaning of the word revise.

    Congratulations!

    Ena J

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay, great cover! Congratulations! Can't wait to see the real thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks wonderful, Cheryl, and I must have it! How can I buy one?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I love the cover. Can't wait for your book to come out. I'm so glad you decided to write it.

    Happy Blog Anniversary too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations, Cheryl, and happy Blogiversary. The cover looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know my class at the University of Washington will love what you have to say as much as I am enjoying my reading.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can't wait to buy your book.

    It will be a real book, right? For us bookaholics? I need to be able to hold it in my hands and put postanotes all over your editorial goodness.

    -wendieO

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd love to take a stab at reviewing this book for the SCBWI Bulletin (have already queried).

    Would you be willing to send along an e-galley? Or how can I get a copy?

    sue kamata (@) msn (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  16. The cover looks fantastic. Happy Blogiversary!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on your blog anniversary and on your new book. What a fabulous cover design. I can't wait to have a copy in my hands.
    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Blogiversary, a few days late! And the book looks fabulous - I *love* the cover! Congratulations! :)

    Mikki

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations! There are a lot of blogiversaries in February (mine included). What does this say about the winter months?

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's very real! And very wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That cover is excellent! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The cover looks fantastic! SO looking forward to getting a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  23. NIce cover! I love the glasses on top! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What warm, vibrant colours!

    Patricia
    PM_Poet Writer

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations!! It looks terrific, and really, how could it be otherwise? :)

    ~ecb

    ReplyDelete