Monday, February 04, 2008

Blogiversary Grab Bag (with Lots of Announcements, Invitations, and WOO-HOOs!)

  • The New York Giants! WOO-HOO!
  • The Light of the World just picked up its third starred review, this one from Publishers Weekly. Also WOO-HOO!
  • And A Curse Dark as Gold got a marvelous review from Bookshelves of Doom recently, following another lovely review from Teensreadtoo. There will be lots more on this book coming in the next month or so.
  • (And anyone who wants to buy me the "Wimsey & Vane 4eva" shirt from BoD is more than welcome to be so generous.)
  • The very funny Men of Jane Austen personal ads. I feel insulted on behalf of my dear Mr. Knightley -- he's behind Edmund Bertram, ugh. (Thanks to Jimmy for the link.)
  • A cool little thing for teachers and parents: The Scholastic Teacher Book Wizard, to help you find the right books at the right reading level for your students and kids.
  • I'm obsessed with politics right now, and loving Andrew Sullivan's blog on the Atlantic thanks to that. (He offers really cool non-political links too.)
  • And Barack! WOO-HOO! I went to an Obama march across the Brooklyn Bridge on Saturday, and it was energizing and inspiring and so exciting to be out with other people who were equally fired up about the possibilities this candidate offers. I have never been involved in a political campaign this early before; I have never cared as much about one specific candidate as I do right now. And a great deal of that comes from the movement gathering around Barack, the sense that I personally can help make a difference today. At church recently, our excellent pastor pointed out that for all the candidates' talk about change, change only happens when there is a true people's movement behind it, as Martin Luther King Jr. and all his supporters created, as women did for decades leading up to the 19th Amendment and then again in the 1960s and 1970s. Our issues are more complicated today, the injustices less clear-cut, but Barack makes me want to take to the streets and help in whatever way I can, and that's why (or rather yet another reason why) I'm going to vote for him.
  • If you're undecided as to the Democratic candidates, I encourage you to read this fair-minded New Yorker article from a couple weeks ago, laying forth the two very different ideas of the presidency put forth by the two candidates. They're both good people, and I'll vote for either one in November; but Hillary, as a Clinton, carries so much partisan baggage both within and without -- the "vast right-wing conspiracy" both real and imagined -- that she cannot help but to perpetuate this partisan conflict as president. (And that's if she can defeat McCain, which I doubt, because he's more likely to attract the independent vote and anyone who worries about all the Bill complications.) Barack offers a different and, to my eye, more empowering and attractive vision of a presidency for everyone, and working with everyone -- the United and not the Democratic States of America.
  • Again, end of lecture.
  • Besides my political obsession, I'm also drowning in work right now, with the typeset pages of Fall 2008 books circulating, line-editing to do on Spring 2009 books, and concept editing on Summer 2009 and beyond -- not to mention acquisitions pending, Sales Conference coming up, and Spring and Summer 2008 publicity to help coordinate. Thus I'm a little behind on my SQUIDs, but I hope to get them all out by Presidents' Day.
  • An eBay question: How does one set a high bid and not have it show up in the bidding? I'm trying to purchase some lots of Georgette Heyer Regency romances -- my favorite dessert reading of the moment -- but often I'll put in a bid (say, $10.54) above the current stated high bid (say, $9.27), only to be told I've been outbid on that item, with no record of what this high bid actually is. Could someone explain to me how this happens?
  • Mark your calendars: The Park Slope United Methodist Church book sale will be Saturday, February 23, and the afternoon of Sunday, February 24. If you'd like to donate books, you can do that on Monday the 18th or the evenings of the 21st and 22nd. This is an awesome event for either donating books or picking up new ones -- I hope you all will come!
  • And if you're a Carleton College alum living in New York, don't forget the Nationwide Trivia event this coming Saturday, 3 p.m. at Mad River Bar & Grill on the Upper East Side. New York has a title to defend!
  • If you're coming to New York for the national SCBWI conference, you may be interested in this list of my favorite NYC things to do from last year (plus lots of great suggestions from other people). I'll be at the cocktail party Friday night and Betsy's drink night after.
  • And if you feel a desire to attend religious services Sunday morning, you're also welcome to come to my wonderful, unusual church, Park Slope United Methodist in Brooklyn. You take the F train to 7th Ave. in Brooklyn, then walk downhill to 6th Ave., turn right, and the church is at the corner of 6th Ave. & 8th St. Sunday services are at 11 a.m. (This invitation is also always open to any interested New Yorkers.)
  • Upcoming on the blog: A joint review of The Dead and the Gone by Susan Beth Pfeffer and Suite Scarlett by Maureen Johnson (hint: one has a much higher body count); a response to Jon's request for thoughts on the editor/author relationship; writing notes from Kindling Words; some great recipes; my mindfulness resolutions; more behind-the-book stuff; a whole new set of poems in April; and doubtless much goofiness.
  • Today, February 4, is the third anniversary of the reconstitution of this blog, and what a fun three years it's been. Thanks to you all for reading!

12 comments:

  1. Wow, I want that t-shirt, too! Even though in that shade of pink it would clash with my red hair.

    Maybe it'll come back in stock?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Blogiversary!

    And I'd like to point out that Mr. Darcy certainly ran a personal ad *many* years prior to his current web ad, in the NNB...

    ReplyDelete
  3. And a woo hoo right backatcha!

    Go Obama!

    ReplyDelete
  4. On the Jeopardy online test I bombed last week, I got a Jane Austen question and cursed the fates for my not being you. It was the first line of one of her novels and I guessed Pride and Prejudice. I was wrong.

    Also, Mere and I showed up late to the Brooklyn Bridge thing and just went and got Cuban food, instead. D'oh!

    Happy blogiversary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My lovely daughter just explained the ebay bidding to me!

    Let's say there's a bid of $9.79 on an item you want. You are willing to bid as high as $30.99 on it.

    When it asks for your bid, you put in your highest bid - i.e. $30.99.

    E-bay automatically puts in a bid just a little higher than the $9.79, such as $10.29.

    If the first bidder has a maximum bid of $40.00, you will automatically be outbid. (Which is what happened to you!)

    But, if not (and if the first bidder continues to bid against you), e-bay will continue to outbid the first bidder until your limit has been reached.

    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Blogiversary! And THANK you for coining such an amazing term :)

    To more happy posts and Click moments..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Blogiversary to you
    and to all your squids too!

    Wait, it's not their blogiversary. Oh, well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found your blog a few days ago.
    Congratulations! Three years in the blog world is a long time!!

    (I love Obama for the same reasons. Even if I didn't agree with his position on the issues, which I do, I feel the passion in his speeches. I need to buy his book.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was going to write about E-bay, but someone already answered the question. Speaking of church, I always think of a hymn that PUMC ends with when I stand at the corner of 66th (or 65th) and Fifth. You know, the one that goes, "What does the Lord, require of us, what does the Lord, require of us, kindness, justice and to walk humbly before the Lord...."

    The building is on the southeast corner of the intersection.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy belated Blogiversary.

    And thanks for writing it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Blogiversary!

    Also, thanks for the comments on Barack Obama. I teach 10th grade English, and it AMAZES me how much even the kids who can't vote are thrilled with the idea of an election. Of course, this is my first time teaching during a presidential election, but there's no way they were this passionate about elections when their choices were Ubiquitous White Guy A and Ubiquitous White Guy B. Now, they care (and so does, apparently, most of America). Here's the perfect example: a few days ago, two students told another student to shut up about American Idol and talk about Obama vs. Clinton. This is the first time in a long time I've ever been proud of my country during election times--despite the outcome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yep, that method of bidding on EBay is called "proxy bidding." it's a way of locking in a maximum amount that you're willing to bid on an item, and as a result, you will outbid everyone up to that point. Hope that helps :)

    Obama '08!

    ReplyDelete