Monday, January 18, 2010

Yay, MARCELO! Yay, MORIBITO!

Congratulations to Francisco X. Stork for winning the Schneider Family Award - Teen division for MARCELO IN THE REAL WORLD! To quote the ALA website, "The Schneider Family Book Awards honor an author or illustrator for a book that embodies an artistic expression of the disability experience for child and adolescent audiences." MARCELO, of course, is about a young man on the autistic spectrum, among many other things, and everyone at Scholastic is thrilled the committee saw fit to honor it with this important award.


And then MORIBITO II: GUARDIAN OF THE DARKNESS was named a Mildred L. Batchelder Honor Book! The author of the book is Nahoko Uehashi, the translator Cathy Hirano; and of course the first book in the series won the Batchelder last year. Congratulations again to them, and thank you to the committee -- it's an honor and a pleasure to have our AALB commitment to translation recognized once more.


Hooray for all today's award winners!

8 comments:

  1. I am so pleased for you and your authors, Cheryl! I hope the award draws in more readers for both, since they are both just GREAT BOOKS, as well as good books in those categories.

    I wrote recently about how I was disappointed in seeking multi-ethnic books from the major publishers at Annual last year. AAL Books was one of the bright spots. I look forward to the books of 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to Francisco! As you know, MARCELO was one of my favorite reads this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to see Marcelo on there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so glad to see MARCELO get an award! it is one of my all-time favourites. And Francisco's portrayal of someone who 'thinks differently' is exquisitely drawn. Congratulations to Francisco and to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always been very intrigued by foreign stories like Moribito. I'm glad I caught this blog, and I'm excited to check the book out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray for Marcelo!! Mazel tov to you!

    I thought Marcelo was a marvelous and original book, beautifully written, with a surprising plot that went beyond 'boy on the autistic spectrum has to learn to deal with the real world' (though that could be a sufficient plot, certainly) he had to deal with complicated ethical problems that would challenge anyone, and it was actually a page-turner to see what he will do. I'm recommending it right and left.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never expected Moribito II to get a Batchelder Honor or any recognition since Moribito I won the award last year! So awesome. We use these in our SS classes and the students love them!

    ReplyDelete