Thursday, November 01, 2007

Robert's Snow: Melissa Iwai

I wanted to feature Melissa Iwai solely on the basis of the title for her beautiful snowflake above: "The Newlyweds." But then I discovered she too lives in Brooklyn, and now, in the spirit of boroughhood, I have to love her. Her bio: Melissa Iwai is a native Californian who now lives in Brooklyn Heights, N.Y. with her husband and their son, Jamie. She has illustrated twelve picture books and won the 2004 Oppenheim Toy Portfolio award for her book Good Night Engines, and the 2007 Bank Street College of Education Best Book Award for Tool Box Twins. Her snowflake will be featured in the second round of auctions, from November 26-30, and would make a wonderful wedding or Your First Christmas Together present for your favorite couple, whoever they may be. (Especially if they're a bit of an odd couple like the monkey and elephant above . . . Amor vincit omnia.)

N. B.: Melissa's website has a nice description of the process of making a picture book.

Next-to-the-last time: FIGHT CANCER! BUY SNOWFLAKES! YEAH!

17 comments:

  1. Awww!
    I love how the boat is imbalanced -- and the choppiness of the waves paired with the perfect peace of the boaters. This is definitely one of those 'Our First Christmas' gifts. Cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MY what a great 'Our First Christmas Together' present, indeed... -waggles eyebrows-

    ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. It brings to mind the Owl and the Pussycat...
    So sweet...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've totally created a bidding war.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it.

    I have only seen ONE of her illustrated picture books but loved it, and now I see she's done TWELVE. I need to get caught up.

    Thanks, Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, ktbb, but in that case, are you the monkey -- or the elephant?

    [ giggles evilly and runs away ]

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for featuring Melissa's snowflake. I love the colors in this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pttthhhhhbbbbbbbbbbbbb!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My inner romantic is waging a fierce battle against my inner accountant right about now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I lived in Brooklyn for three years due to works reasons and during the time I was there I really loved the place, I really cant complain, I wish Melissa was there four years ago, maybe I could have ran into her on the streets or in a park

    ReplyDelete
  11. its very simple but have very harf think idea

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great Stuff i found here i like it so much thanks a lot for this great information I love to read such a nice blog.


    Smith ALan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks a lot for this great informative post i like it so much.


    Smith ALan

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a nice post shared here. Great job done and thanks for sharing this post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Great informative article! Thanks so much for sharing your wealth of information. I certainly appreciate the effort! keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete