Monday, September 26, 2005

Not Exactly the Oscars

[thunk thunk thunk] Is this thing on? Oh goodness, yes. All right. I'd like to thank everyone for coming here today for the first-ever (and probably only) Brooklyn Arden Funky Words Awards. I know I said these awards would be held Thursday the 29th, but the judge has other commitments then (a book group meeting and the "Alias" season premiere) and saw no reason to wait. We appreciate the time and attention!

[If this were the actual blog equivalent of the Oscars, there would be a musical number here, so: Music! Dancing! Music! Dancing!]

The winner, and the recipient of my banana oatmeal chocolate-chip cookies (or another baked good of her choice), is Ms. Nadia Seiler, for her short story about a pirate named Bob. Beyond her clever inclusion of the Llama Song, the judge especially admired her brilliant use of pirate and Jane Austen references, perfectly encapsulated by the first line: "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a pirate not in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of some booty (the pirate kind, thank you)."

[Music! Dancing! Platitudes about the magic of funky words, followed by a clip reel!]

The first runner-up, and the winner of bound set pages for The Book of Everything (because she's already read and loved Stanford Wong Flunks Big-Time, as all people should), is Ms. Kathryne Beebe, for her story about Miss Dynamite. The judge particularly commends the repeated references to the funk and the line, "The only way for this guy to find his mojo was to bring some, and he didn’t look like he could carry all that much."

[Music! Dancing! Technical awards! Michael Moore makes a speech, and people boo! Clip reel of all the bloggers, punk rockers, and funkateers who have died in the last year! (And Pope John Paul II, of course.)]

The second runner-up, and the winner of ten Swedish Fish, is Mr. Chris Barton, for working all twelve words into one tight, amusing sentence. Mr. Barton did not mention Bootsy Collins, alas, but he did mention the Ramones, another object of the judge's musical affections, and this propelled him ahead of Ms. Lisa Yee in a tight, tight race.

So that's all we have tonight! The staff of Brooklyn Arden wishes to express its thanks to Ms. Yee and the "last-minute mystery man" for their participation in the contest as well. Mr. Barton and Mr. Mysterious, if you would like to e-mail your postal addresses to chavelaque at verizon dot net, I will gladly send your appointed prizes on their way. And I encourage every reader to visit this link to experience the genius of all the contestants and their entries. Many thanks to all!

[General applause, swelling orchestra, audience and winners disappear to glamorous parties, scandals, etc.]

2 comments:

  1. Well, good thing I hung onto my juice box. The one the Comfort Counselor gave me when I misspelled fjhjthrtrhtrjhtrlts;setsi at the 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee.

    Congrats to the winner and enjoy the cookies!!!

    Lisa
    www.lisayee.com
    www.livejournal.com/users/lisayee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Oh! Thank you!

    I can hardly believe this! I feel so lucky! Even in my wildest dreams, I never would have thought I'd be here! I'm just in awe of my fellow nominees & their fantastic work, and I feel really blessed to have been able to Blog Comment in the same space as Published Authors, even if I've not (yet!) had the pleasure of reading their work.

    Oh my gosh! I want to thank...my family, my boyfriend Erik (who puts up with my Pure Dorkery), Trivial Pursuit, my high school friend Liz (whose family owns 2 llamas), and, of course, the one & only Cheryl Klein (for holding this contest & also helping me see Pirate Words Everywhere).

    ReplyDelete