Sunday, January 25, 2009

On Occasional Poems

First a small bit of doggerel -- bad, I admit -- for Betsy's and my own open occasion tomorrow evening:

Tomorrow night we come to drink
And argue, gossip, chat, and think
About the kids' books we love most
And which awards we'll jeer or toast.
We'll gather at the bar Gstaad,
In the back, where space is broad,
At Forty-three West Twenty-Sixth,
Just down the block -- it's right betwixt
Broadway and Sixth Avenue.
Half-past six. (Later will do.)
Come raise a glass! It's a good time.
(And I swear: No further rhyme.)

Then to continue the discussion of a magnitudes-superior occasional poem, I really enjoyed this clip of Elizabeth Alexander on the Colbert Report Wednesday night, particularly Stephen's concerns about J. Alfred Prufrock's mermaids and the difference between a metaphor and a lie. Highly commended to all those with an interest in poetry:

4 comments:

  1. Ah! I wish I was in New York--I miss the bars and the people and the life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely off topic, but--congrats on Curse Dark as Gold winning the William Morris award!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on Curse as Dark as Gold and Moribito winning awards this morning, Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah truly a great site.I really enjoyed my visit.

    ReplyDelete