Thursday, July 26, 2007

Back to Harry: News (including Incredible Famousness), Thoughts, and a Theory

(This cartoon of Harry drawn by my friend Jeremiah, who has an excellent webcomic called Five Bucks to Friday.)
Do we need more spoiler space? Here:

MERLIN'S PANTS

MERLIN'S PANTS

MERLIN'S PANTS

MERLIN'S PANTS

MERLIN'S PANTS

MERLIN'S PANTS

First the news: The first of the "Today Show" interviews with Jo yielded some wonderful tidbits on the trio's future careers, what happened to Luna, and Jo's feelings about Snape; check out the article and video. The second part of the interview will air tomorrow at 7:30 a.m. EST, the third at 7 p.m. Sunday on Dateline (you should double-check that Sunday time).

Also, if you didn't see the Colbert Report opening, it's hee-larious.

We have found one verified typo in the U.S. edition thus far, which I am announcing so none of you HP fans write to us about it when you discover it yourselves: "suceeded," on page 5. We are disappointed, of course, because we always want to make the most perfect book possible; but given that the book is 784 pages and we're only human, we'll cut ourselves some slack.

And my personal period of Incredible Famousness comes to a close this week with a brief profile in one of my favorite magazines, "Entertainment Weekly." I don't know if any of it's online -- I actually haven't even seen the article yet, and I have my fingers crossed about the picture that's supposed to accompany it. . . . The magazine also profiles Arthur and Jo's terrific longtime publicist, Kris Moran.

Next, thinking a little bit more about the epilogue: I think some of what we're seeing in the split over the epilogue is the split between readers who feel like there's too much infodump in that section and therefore dislike its style; and readers who are like, "Dump! Dump! Dump! Rain that sweet information down!" But it is hard to satisfy the latter readers without further inflaming the former: If you're disappointed with the epilogue because it didn't include the trio's careers, for example, imagine the exceeding awkwardness of "Then Harry turned to Hermione and said, 'So, how are things in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement? We're really revolutionizing things over in the Auror Department! And have you had a letter from Luna recently? Wonder if she found those Blibbering Humdingers in Bolivia, ho ho ho!'" I think the author came to the right balance in the end, with a scene that showed us all the essential things discussed below without going too far in the dumpy direction. I can't imagine the book without it, myself -- how cold it would have felt, to know only that they survived, and not that they achieved all the happiness it showed . . .

Finally, here's my personal theory regarding Teddy Lupin: I've always figured he was raised by his grandmother, Andromeda Tonks. As her daughter, son-in-law, and husband would be dead, she'd want to keep this remaining member of her family close; and Harry, at 17, may have been able to defeat Lord Voldemort and all his Death Eaters, but I doubt he was equipped to care for a screaming one-month-old.

(Having written that, my continuity editor instincts kick in and I think, Wait, is it really a month? How much time passes between Lupin's appearance at Shell Cottage and the trio's departure for Gringotts? Isn't it more like a week or two? But I'm going to give myself a break here and not check it in the book. :-) )

10 comments:

  1. The second Tonks' pregnancy was announced, I predicted her and Lupin's death, and Harry stepping up as surrogate father, to fill the role of the father figure he never had. Then I realized that 17 year old Harry was in no way old or mature enough to deal with a baby, and figured that none of that was going to come true. I think the only thing that kept me together when Tonks and Lupin died was the smug satisfaction of having predicted at least that.

    I think you've hit the nail right on the head about reactions to the epilogue. (Okay, I finished the book 24 hours ago, and have discussed it with noone yet, and have read nothing about it online, so all I know of epilogue reactions are your 2 posts.) I had *both* of those reactions simultaneously. But I forgive her, because I remember seeing a documentary years ago in which she held up the folder which contained that final chapter, written well in advance. Even though I found it a bit twee, and frustrating detailed yet vague, I figure that she had to have it there, if just for her own sanity. Writing out how good things would be in a couple of decades had to make it easier to write all of those heart-wrenching things in the intervening.

    But I still want a bulleted list. Yes, it would have been clunky to include all of the characters' fates in prose. I'll take a list. Private email is okay. (shh, don't tell me such a thing doesn't exist. I know she knows what happened to everybody. She has to!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so right. Harry's Teddy's godfather not his grandmother. I don't think he was equipped to completely parent a baby at age 17 - and why would a grandmother be incapable of looking after her grandson? Neville! I am still a little depressed that it's all over but at least there was a happy ending. I was in turmoil last week unable to sleep for worry about what was going to happen. All the info about Hermione becoming Minister of Magic in 2057 or Draco marrying whoever is immaterial. We found out the important bits - that Harry is happy with Ginny and Ron and Hermione are together, too. Once we accept that we can find out all the bullet points :)

    Cheryl, I'd love more info about your reactions since you've had more time than us to digest :) Go on tour again with PotterCast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also don't beat yourself up about the misspelling (did I even spell that right?) It's so not important!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, i basically died when i saw the Colbert Report. It just made my day so much happier!

    -Bubbles

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Colbert Report is indeed hilarious! Mostly because I can so see that happening! As a matter of fact, last night I went to an orientation meeting for the EdS program I am beginning and, sure enough, one of the people there had her book and was reading it the whole time!

    As for the rest, I can't wait for the encyclopedia! See! We still have a lot to speculate about!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'So, how are things in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement? We're really revolutionizing things over in the Auror Department! And have you had a letter from Luna recently? Wonder if she found those Blibbering Humdingers in Bolivia, ho ho ho!'"

    You make me laugh out loud, Miss C

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Cheryl, I noticed a couple of "continuity" errors;) But I'll forgive you.

    Laura (your old friend from WAY back dwg days)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Regarding wandering around in a tent for a long time, I found this picture of the very real Forest of Dean (where they found the sword), and hm, I can see why someone might want to linger awhile! http://www.cinderfordbrassband.co.uk/tall-forest.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  9. The epilogue surprised me. Mainly because I was expecting some sort of Animal House-esque thing of

    "Harry Potter married Ginny Weasley and had lots of babies. He became an auror.

    Delores Umbridge went to prison for a very long time for being a really big meanie.

    Teddy Tonks was raised by his grandmother and started dating Victoire whom he later married and had lots of very pretty babies with bright pink and purple hair.

    Lucius Malfoy couldn't face the shame and started breeding albino peacocks, which eventually took over his house.

    Mrs. Weasley started swearing all the time and was no longer allowed in polite society."

    So I was surprised that it was an actual scene with little drips of info. But a good surprised. Especially because the info is still coming. (I love that, according to the live web chat, Ginny played pro Quidditch!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Teddy was about two months old - it was mentioned that it was an April evening when Lupin visited Shell Cottage and basically freaked out. :) Given that the Epic End Battle usually happens in June, Teddy must've been about two months old!

    (Late reaction, yes, but I only now read it.)

    ReplyDelete