You are cordially invited to join the Ministry of Reshelving, a new government department that tries to reflect today's political realities through the reclassification of what was formerly known as "fiction."
How to Serve the Ministry of Reshelving:
- Select a local bookstore to carry out your reshelving activities.
- Download and print "This book has been relocated by the Ministry ofReshelving" bookmarks and "All copies of 1984 have been relocated" notecards to take with you to the bookstore. Or make your own. We recommend bringing a notecard and 5-10 bookmarks to each store.
- Go to the bookstore and locate its copies of George Orwell's 1984. Unless the Ministry of Reshelving has already visited this bookstore, it is probably currently incorrectly classified as "Fiction" or "Literature."
- Discreetly move all copies of 1984 to a more suitable section, such as "Current Events," "Politics," "History," "True Crime," or "New Non-Fiction."
- Insert a Ministry of Reshelving bookmark into each copy of any book you have moved. Leave a note card in the empty space the books once occupied.
- If you spot other incorrectly classified books, feel free to relocate them.
- Please report all reshelving efforts to the Ministry. E-mail your store name, location, number of 1984 copies reshelved, and any other reshelving activities conducted, to reshelving @ avantgame.com. Photos of your mission can be uploaded to Flickr, tagged as "reshelving," and submitted to the Ministry of Reshelving group. Our goal is to relocate one thousand nine hundred and eighty-four copies, and to complete successful reshelving of 1984 in all 50 United States. Global contributions are welcome.