Saturday, January 05, 2008

Cinematic New York City Sightings

Before I forget, two fun location notes: The climactic faceoff in Michael Clayton occurs in the cavernous second-floor lobby of the Hilton at 53rd and 6th Ave. -- aka the location for the SCBWI Midwinter conference. You can stand where George Clooney stood!

(Mmm, George Clooney. . .




What? Oh. Sorry.)

And in I Am Legend, one scene takes place on Mercer Street between Prince and Spring Streets, directly behind the Scholastic building -- you can actually see the Scholastic Store sign off to the right. It's good to know Clifford the Big Red Dog survives the viral apocalypse.

Both films are highly recommended, by the way, the first for standout performances and crackerjack writing and plot construction, the second for incredible special effects, cinematography, and suspense. (James and I spent the half-hour after I Am Legend discussing our emergency plan in case of a terrorist attack, however, so don't go see it for a light good time.)

4 comments:

  1. Emergency planning was an early indicator of the Wisner/Conway merger...

    Just thought you should know!

    Oh and we have the sweetest picture of the two of you from the wedding, which you will be receiving just as soon as I get to the pictures section of my To Do list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Cheryl, the George Clooney thing gave me my first (and most likely last) good laugh of the day. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I'm late, but thanks for the link to the Raymond Carver article. I'm always fascinated by the author/editor relationship ... It was a really cool piece of insight into one working relationship. I think editors are really the unsung heroes of literary greatness (except, of course, Maxwell Perkins and your boss).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw Michael Clayton this weekend. Excellent. Loved it AND won points with my husband for suggesting it. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete