Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Taking Action

Moveon.org is sponsoring candlelight vigils around the United States every Wednesday night at 7:30 in support of Cindy Sheehan. You can find one near you at the MoveOn website.

The New York Carleton Club -- or at least, Cheryl Klein -- is once again forming a team for the Susan B. Komen Race for the Cure 5K run/walk on Sunday, September 25 at 9:20 a.m. in Central Park. Any New Yorkers who would like to join the team are welcome (Carleton diploma not required), and eventually I'll have a link here if anyone's interested in contributing to my $200 fundraising goal (which would be very much appreciated). My grandmother died of breast cancer, and many wonderful and important women in my life have undergone treatment for it, so this has become something of my personal cause. Plus the race falls on my birthday weekend this year, so I'll treat all my team members to Krispy Kremes afterward. If you're interested in joining the team, leave me a comment and I'll get you information ASAP.

(One in seven women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime, by the way. One in seven. Scary, no?)

And speaking of the New York Carleton Club, Kirsten Major '88 published a marvelous "Modern Love" essay in the Times Style section Sunday, which also fits the "Taking Action" theme: A Go-Between Gets Going.

No comments:

Post a Comment